Skip to main content

Trigger shots

Nurse Lisa called at about noon to give me instructions on how the triggering (of ovulation) works.

First, Mike gave me my normal doses of Menopur and Gonal-F at 3:30. Since we normally do these shots at 9:30 pm, this is much earlier. This is to give my eggs one last bit of growth.

At 5:30, Mike gave me the two trigger shots. The first was Lupron, which was already prepared and injected in my abdomen. This seemed like a piece of cake after all the mixing and dialing we've doing over the past week. Lupron prevents my body from ovulating on its own during the next 36 hours.

The second shot was human chorionic gonadatropin (HCG), which is produced by the body after fertilization. It essentially warns the uterine lining to prepare for the embryo to implant. Since our fertilization will be occurring outside my body, we have to add this hormone through injections. HCG is injected into muscle, which meant this shot was given in my backside. Mike and I watched an instructional video on how to do this, and it freaked me out! The needle she used was huge, and she jabbed it in like she was stabbing herself! In reality, it felt just like all the injections Mike gave me in my abdomen. No problem at all! I was really happy to have Mike with this one. I just don't think I could turn around and jab myself in my backside.




So that meant I had five injections yesterday. Our little sharps container is getting quite full. But on the bright side, I don't have to have any injections tomorrow!

Comments