Skip to main content

Checking the hormones and follicles

This morning I had my blood drawn to check my levels of estradiol. Estradiol is produced by the ovaries and helps maintain much of my reproductive system. We’re monitoring it right now because it causes luteinizing hormone to be released, which leads to ovulation. Today my level was 375, which seems normal for being mid-cycle.

My blood was drawn by a former student of mine! I’m pretty good at remembering names and faces, it I admit I didn’t recognize this student. Once she told me her name, I realized she was in my class a few years ago, and that made me feel a little better. I saw another former student of mine working as I left the InstaCare this morning.

After having my blood drawn, I headed over to Dr. Chalmers’ office for an ultrasound to check the progress of my follicles. We were able to see 23 follicles of varying sizes. I believe he mentioned that we want the follicles to be about 20 (millimeters in diameter, I’m assuming). Most of mine were between 8 and 13, though there were a couple that were smaller and larger. Dr. Chalmers said this was normal for where I am in the process. The follicles will continue to grow over the weekend, and we’ll check them again Monday morning in Salt Lake.

Comments